You Never Change Things By Fighting The Existing Reality.
To Change Something, Build a New Model That Makes
The Existing Model Obsolete
– Buckminster Fuller
democratically determined funding — a fair way for Digital Public Libraries to sustain and reward digital content production
The design for this funding model for the media was built on the wishes to have a system where:
1. everyone has equal access to information
2. everyone has an equal say in how public funds are dispersed to copyright owners
There are three parts to the system:
1. Collecting Revenue – The government acts as a fund collecting utility to collect a pool of funds through highly progressive taxation. These funds are used by a Digital Public Library to pay for the public’s use of digital content.
2. Payment for use – Funding for copyright owners would be proportional to the use by the public (democratically determined funding). Under the condition that media content is advertising-free, a National Digital Public Library (which would be independent from government) would be given the mandate to disperse funds to copyright owners. This payment would be based on use of their property by the public. Payment should be automatic micro payments triggered by each use.
3. Claw back – The user has the opportunity and right to manually claw the automatic payment back to the Digital Public Library, if the user deems the content inappropriate or unworthy. This manual claw back is intended to discourage those who may wish to profit from deception.
A National Digital Public Library is a system where neither the government nor wealthy interests will have any say in what media gets funded. As it should be in a democracy, funding will be the citizens’ choice.
Two additional conditions on the funding formula are necessary. There has to be: 1) an extra subsidy for media to present minority views — the general need to incentivize and sustain production of media for local and other niche audiences can be facilitated by using an inverse popularity pay scale; and 2) for a period of perhaps for 20 to 50 years, subsidy for print and broadcast media for the sake of people who cannot afford to use, or learn to use the internet.
With few exceptions people dislike Interruption Advertising. If people were given the choice between media with or without advertising, they would choose ad-free media.
This system is meant to replace the current system of funding the media through advertising which has serious drawbacks for a democratic society.
Media advertising takes an excessive toll on our time. Time is money.
A National Digital Public Library will eliminate the undemocratic opportunity that now exists: for the rich to buy extra access to audiences for the purpose of shaping public opinions on political policy.
A National Digital Public Library will eliminate the waste of millions of man hours due to advertising.
Although A National Digital Public Library means a tax increase, it should also allow more than an equivalent reduction in consumer prices. The costs of advertising are built into the price of goods and services. It is like a hidden tax.
A National Digital Public Library will replace a system where money can buy a voice in the public sphere with a system where all have an equal opportunity to express themselves publicly.
A National Digital Public Library will allow market forces to operate based on real demand, not the false demand created by advertising. Business success will depend on competitive pricing and on delivering quality, not hype.
A National Digital Public Library will eliminate the censorship problem we now have, in that media owners, writers and editors self-censor so as not to offend the advertisers who fund their work.
A National Digital Public Library will eliminate the problem and the huge expense of policing copyright. There will be no point in illegally downloading or streaming when content is available free of charge for users.
A National Digital Public Library will eliminate the problem and huge expense of attempting to police ethics in advertising.
Democratically Funded Media guarantees that media content citizens choose to consume is the media that will be funded.
Democratically Funded Media: All info, news and entertainment on request for everyone for no charge with no advertising, no paywalls and no piracy.
If it is good it does not need to be advertised in the media. Friends and family share knowledge.
No Ads Canada © 2016